Welcome to the Town of Shepshed
Shepshed has a population of 13,000 plus and is a major dormitory town, this is due to its close proximity to Loughborough and the M1 motorway. A great deal of private housing has been erected in and around Shepshed.
Shepshed is fortunate enough to have two Post Offices (Charnwood Road and the Market Place), three supermarkets, Library, weekly Friday Market, two Health Centres and several local shops, travel agents, opticians, hairdressers, restaurants, cafes, and building society. Sadly, the National Westminster Bank, which was located in a marvellous building in the Bull Ring, has closed. However, the building has now been converted into a dental practice.
There are four Primary schools, one High school and a Community College within the town. Shepshed people pride themselves on their community spirit, which is reflected in the extensive voluntary and community groups in the town.
Two community centres are owned by the Town Council and are very well used by local groups and organisations. Both are available for private hire:- for more information please contact Brenda Snape 01509 508872 for details of the Community Centre (Council office)on Charnwood Road or 01509 650662 for details of the Glenmore Community Centre on Thorpe Road.
The War Memorial, situated close to Glenmore Park was erected by public subscription in memory and thanksgiving for those who fell in two world wars. It was originally located in the Market Place.
Shepshed Cemetery, which is run and maintained by the Town Council, dates back to 1876 and records are kept in the Council Offices at 47a Charnwood Road, Shepshed (01509 508872).
Shepshed is twinned with Domont in France. In 1999 the town celebrated the tenth anniversary of this twinning arrangement.
To commemorate the millennium, a clock was erected on the front of Shepshed Building Society in the Bull Ring. This was officially unveiled at midday on 31st December 1999 by the then, Chairman of Shepshed Town Council (Cllr Barry Perkins), The Mayor of Charnwood (Cllr Barry Powell) and the Chairman of Leicestershire County Council (Cllr Graham Perkins), all of whom were Shepshed residents.
Shepshed boasts several parks and open spaces around the Town. Glenmore Park was originally opened in 1937 and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1987 with a large community event and the production of souvenirs.
A BMX track and skateboard park can be found on Oakley Road playing fields. Little Haw Lane playing field is home to four local football clubs and Hind Leys Community College provides sporting facilities for the local community. Cricket is also a well-played sport within the Town. Shepshed also has it's own Bowls Club.
There is an industrial estate on the outskirts of Shepshed, but sadly the hosiery industry has diminished in the town.
47a Charnwood Road
- 01509 508872